Please Drive Responsibly – Enhance Child Safety
The Dearborn Police Department takes your children’s safety seriously and so must you. Poor driving habits, parking violations, and aggressive driving near schools, all create an unsafe environment for our children. The Dearborn Police Department is asking all parents to do their part in promoting “safe and orderly – school zones” to ensure child safety. To help reduce congestion and provide a safer environment keep these points in mind when dropping off or picking up your children:
- The bus stop is for buses only.
- Walk children to school when possible.
- Drop off/pick up children a short distance away from school, when if/possible. This alleviates traffic congestion around our schools.
- Once your child is out of the car and safety on the sidewalk vacate the area to make room for other parents to drop off their children. (Do Not – Double Park)
- Be mindful of school staff and crossing guards. They are there for your child’s safety.
- Be a “Good Neighbor”, by being mindful of residents who live near school zones.
In order to ensure our children’s safety, the Dearborn Police Department will be actively enforcing traffic laws around all school zones:
- Blocking driveways: $80 fine
- Double parking: $80 fine
- Stop sign violation: 3 points $150 fine
- Fail to yield to pedestrian: 2 points $150 fine
- Fail to yield to School Bus: 3 points $240 fine
- Disobey a school crossing guard: Misdemeanor
Please click below for the letter from the Dearborn Police Department.