Over the past several weeks, I have witnessed a number of traffic incidents that need to be addressed and resolved around the school. I have witnessed a number of parents who are parking illegally, blocking traffic, darting around parked cars, speeding and picking up/dropping off students in the middle of the street. Please help me eliminate these traffic problems in an effort to keep our students safe.
To help alleviate traffic congestion and make the traffic conditions safer for our students please:
- Obey the street signs for parking and speed limits.
- Refrain from making cell phone calls when driving a motor vehicle.
- Never make a U-turn in the streets around the school.
- Do not call or signal your child to enter the street.
- Never stop your car in the middle of the street and block traffic to let your child out of your car.
- Do not block crosswalks with your car. Keep clear of the white lines at the street corners.
- At intersections, keep your car stopped completely when children are crossing in any direction.
- Always have your child exit and enter the car on the curbside of the street.
- Never drop off or pick up your child in areas that are designated for bus usage.
Next, I have contacted the Dearborn Police Department and have asked them to step up patrols around the school and issue citations for adults who violate safe driving practices. Please be aware that many of these citations include a very sizeable fine.
Lastly, Officer Hanson will be limiting access for parents to the parking lot on the southwest side of the school (S. Drexel Street) before school begins each morning. Students can be dropped off at the end of the street and may walk around the school to door #1 to gain entry to the building. I hope that this will make student drop off in this area safer for students. I would encourage you to consider finding an alternate spot to drop off your child or have him/her walk to and from school each day.
I appreciate those of you who practice responsible driving habits and thank you for supporting the school by setting a good example for your child. If each of us would practice the District Core Values: honesty, respect, integrity, responsibility, citizenship and courtesy, our traffic problems and safety concerns would disappear.
If you would like to discuss this further or have any questions you may contact me at (313) 827-2900.